Monday 26 March 2012

Shakespeare Post Two

       Wikipedia is something I find extremely useful even though the information is not always true. You get the basic facts about whatever you are searching and leave with an understanding of what you were questioning. When I came upon the Twelfth Night page on Wikipedia I found no information to be false exactly but it was however not as informative as I thought it would be. 
     
     They give a great summary of the plot and identify who the main characters are which is helpful if someone has never read this play. They do however have a large section of the summary dedicated to Malvolio and the events that occurred to him which I believe are important, but not as important as Wikipedia made them out to be. Regarding the main character of my play, Viola, all the facts they state are true however if someone who had never heard of this play searched it, Wikipedia did not make Viola's character seem that important. They described how she was relevant to the play and how she turns into the character Cesario but other than that they ramble on about the other characters more. Therefore that is something misleading as the play is greatly affected by what Viola does and does not do.
    
       Wikipedia also only gives the ending of the play a mere conclusion which I believe is a huge part of the play where everything is revealed. Something I found very interesting that I did not know before is the importance of this play being set in Illyria. According to Wikipedia; Illyria, the setting of Twelfth Night, is important to the play's romantic atmosphere. Illyria was an ancient region on the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea covering parts of modern AlbaniaCroatia, and Montenegro, and the city state of Ragusa has been proposed as the setting. Illyria may have been suggested by the Roman comedy Menæchmi, the plot of which also involves a pair of twins who are mistaken for each other. I found that interesting because I never thought twice about the setting of the play but now I know of its importance. That is why I believe Wikipedia is so useful because even though not all the information is legitimate, you know more about your topic than you did before when you are done with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment