Friday 23 March 2012

Shakespeare Post One

TWELFTH NIGHT 


         The play I decided to study is Twelfth Night. Since no one else in the class will be reading this play with me, I have found multiple sources which will help me understand what this play is about. The following links are the ones I will be using and I will give a brief explanation for each and also share the information I have learned.  The first source of information I decided to find was a movie. Luckily, I found one that was made in 1996 which is not too long ago. I want to do much more research on my play before I watch the movie so I can have a better understanding of this play before I try to understand the movie.

 Movie

As well, when searching for videos, I forgot that one of my favourite movies, Shes the Man, is based on this play. Therefore already owning this video I can also watch this to give me more information even though it is only similar regarding the plot.
This link is from sparknotes and gives me a well detailed explanation for my play without having to read the whole play. Here I can find out details about the plot, characters and each act which will benefit me greatly. So far this is what I have learned from this site:
Plot: One stormy day, Violar washed up on the shores of Illyria after an awful shipwreck. She believed her twin brother Sebastian had died and with the help of the ship captain, recieved work under the Duke Orsino. The only way she can do this however is to dress and act like a man, therefore taking on the name Cesario. It is revealed that the duke is madly inlove with Lady Olivia whom wants nothing to do with the Duke. The Duke then makes Cesario his page and sends him to Lady Olivia to give her love messages from the Duke. However Lady Olivia begins to fall in love with Cesario who at the same time is falling in love with the Duke. We meet other important characters that add to this play such as Malvolio, Sir Toby, Sir Andrew but I believe for now to give just a quick plot summary, identifying the love triangle is the main importance. Then Viola's (Cesario) brother who she thought was dead turns up in Illyria. Lady Olivia sees Sebastian, thinking it is Cesario, and asks him to marry her. Eventually, Viola (still disguised as Cesario) and Orsino make their way to Olivia’s house, where Olivia welcomes Cesario as her new husband, thinking him to be Sebastian, whom she has just married. Orsino is furious, but then Sebastian himself appears on the scene, and all is revealed.
Main Characters:  Viola (Cesario)
                                 Duke Orsino
                                 Lady Olivia
                                 Sebastian
                                 Malvolio
                                 Feste
This link has the entire play where I can read it if I want too. I doubt I will read the entire play but I feel this link will be good to reference back on.
On EBSCOhost I found the entire play as well but they modernized it and made it much easier to read. I read the whole play on this because it was much more simple so this gave me much more information regarding my play. This made me realize how this play is a comedy since they put it into today's speech making it easier to understand. Therefore I believe with the knowledge I have learned so far from my research I am prepared to embark on the next step of this assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment