Wednesday 11 April 2012

iTunesU Post Three

     For my online courses I decided to look what courses New York University had. Since that would be my dream school I automatically selected it. As well, I applied to university next year for English and social sciences so it wasn't too hard to find a course I was interested in. NYU however online only offered American literature which is something I am not that interested in. I decided to focus on sociology instead.

First I watched the majority of the Introduction to Sociology which was the first video in this course. The professor Harvey Molotch, keeps the class engaged and interested into what he is speaking about. He does not make the lesson confusing or harder than it has to be, which is something I was predicting what going to happen. This makes me feel a little less stress for next year since people always tell me how much harder university is. Molotch uses clear examples that the students would understand which helps him explain his points.

     Since Molotch kept me engaged with this lecture, I decided to watch another lesson done by him. I searched down the list and found one entitled Conformity and Isolation. This lesson was extremely interesting and taught me much about sociology that I did not before. An interesting study Molotch discusses is the large number of death in child orphanages in the United States. It was proven that the mortality rates were high because the babies were isolated from other human beings. This shows how important human interaction is to human development.

     Watching these videos helped me realize how much I do want to study the social sciences and learn about how human interaction and behaviour. I enjoyed watching these videos and found they were a great to  learn and expand my knowledge.

                                           
                                  what you see while watching the lesson online

No comments:

Post a Comment