Monday 2 April 2012

iTunesU Post One


                I think this method of teaching is smart and engaging. If I was learning about the subject this video is teaching in any other form I would be extremely bored. This video however, kept me engaged on a subject I usually am not interested in. I cannot say I’ve watched a full video about red shift before Khan Academy’s video but I now am knowledgeable on it. I think this method of teaching is brilliant because it is different than the normal, traditional teaching techniques. Since today’s students are blessed with advanced technology it is hard to keep them engaged in a classroom. This is because their minds have been stimulated so much outside of the classroom such that watching a teacher talk for hours is dull. This way of teaching will keep students engaged and interested since something on the screen is always happening, versus reading from a textbook for example. I personally would love to be taught in this form since I spend a decent amount of time on the computer anyways.

Since I was intrigued by this video I decided to search Khan Academy’s channel for any more interesting videos.  I found a vast amount of categories ranging from all subjects taught in school. I decided to check out the history section since I’ve taken many history courses throughout high school. I scrolled down until I found a topic that interested me and found a video on communism: 


I really enjoyed watching this video and learned more about communism than I did before. This video kept me interested with the visual and also explained certain things well that were confusing. If I had to read a page in a textbook, it would not teach me half the things this video just did and also would be extremely boring. As well, if I get lost at any point I can always pause or go back. This is beneficial because when a teacher is giving a lesson to the class it is easy to get lost and then you begin to give up on trying to listen to what they are saying. Therefore, I believe this form of teaching is amazing and would keep students interested in subjects that usually they hate. I hope this will soon be introduced into classrooms as I believe it will benefit both the students and teachers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment